Lanzarote, 1775



The covered winepress in the old Winery dates from 1775 and was
built on the volcanic layer from the eruption of 1730-36.
The El Grifo vineyard is located in an area covered by sand and volcanic lava
and protected by dry stone walls.
All the wine production tasks are necessarily manual.

Antique things:

The covered press dates from 1775 according to the inscription on the foundation.
The palm-tree which presides over the plantation is from approximately 1750. It is probably the tallest and oldest palm on the island.
The statistics of Escolar (1805) and of Pascual Madoz (1845) give us data about El Grifo.
Vineyards of Muscatel from the middle of the XIX century. We still keep wines from 1881, the year Ana was born.
The primitive installations make up today’s Wine Museum.

244 Years

From yesterday to today
in the bodega

Yesteryear’s novelties:

Novelties introduced in the XX century are also historical.
In 1910 we substituted the old beam press with a German vertical hydraulic one, which is in the museum.
Since the 1950s the fermentation has been carried out by professionals (15 qualified oenologist over 50 years).
We are wine bottling pioneers in the Canary Islands (1935), with machinery also exhibited in the museum.
Beginning in the 1980s we revolutionised the methods and types of wine in the Canaries.
We introduced stainless-steel in wine making in the canaries as well as cooling equipment and membrane presses.
We also initiated the elaboration of natural sparkling wines.
We’ve maintained the ancient methods of elaboration in our Canari and Glas wines.