All tasks must necessarily be carried out manually due to the lava stone walls and layer of volcanic ash.
- Volcanic ash must be moved aside, in a process called “ahoyar”.
- Dry volcanic rock walls are built.
- Vines are planted directly in holes without grafting tubes, thanks to the absence of Phylloxera.
- Ancient techniques such as cordoning are used to complete planting.
- Vines multiply naturally, selection is massive and not clonal.
- For that reason, the wine-grower’s criteria is the determining factor.
- On Lanzarote, plants remain active year-round.
- Pruning induces dormancy.
- This is carried out in February, leaving 2 to 4 main branches, 2 to 3 spurs per branch with 2 to 4 shoots.
- Because of the wind, the branches are trained along the ground, without backing.
- Each year spurs and every so often, whole branches are renewed.
- Although volcanic ash prevents massive development of weeds, regular manual weeding must take place.
- Dry leaves must also be removed after pruning, as they tend to accumulate on the leeward side of the plant.
- A small amount of manure is placed around the base of the vine.
- This is done generally every two or three years.
- Rocks fallen from the walls must be replaced.
- Sand must be cleared from the holes around each vine.
- Oidium is the most harmful parasite, because of dampness at dawn and because the vines are protected from the drying winds. We fight it with sulphur and current Ergosterol Synthesis Inhibitors (IBE)-based systemics.
- The Cochineal insect produces a syrup that can cover the edges of spurs and favour the development of sooty mould which is treated with winter and anti-Oidium oils.
- On the other hand, mildew and Botrytis are rare.
- At the end of July and in August.
- The central and southern areas mature earlier than the western and northern ones.
- On the established day, the bunches of grapes are manually cut (first selection) and placed in rigid perforated crates made to hold 20 kilos.
- The grapes are immediately taken to the presses, where the second selection is carried out.
- Each crate is manually emptied onto a transport belt where the third selection of the bunches is made.